Friday, January 11, 2008

First Day

Upon my return yesterday, I was met at the airport by Masbely with Maynor and Carlos Maricio, the two 13 year olds in my house. Some things have happened and changed while I was gone.

Roberto Josué, the 20 month old, became very ill and he has been in the hospital since December 21st, the day after I left. He has some problem with his lungs and is going to have an operation soon. He must be pretty sick and needs lots of prayers. They have someone from the casa with him 24/7 in the hospital, so Miriam, the lady who works in our little house has been the full time night person. Milton, 15 year old, has taken over Miriam's duties of cooking and cleaning the casa. It obviously is not as clean as when I left due to Miriam's absence!


Gustavo has made an incredible recovery. In just 3 weeks he has grown little round cheeks and now has a ton of energy. He is walking all over the casa by himself whereas in Dec. it took him great effort just to stand on his feet holding onto a chair. He needed to be carried everywhere. Today we walked through the neighborhood, which is over a 1/2 mile walk and he was walking along with everyone. In Dec. he always went with us in a stroller. Masbely had warned us in Dec. that he was very close to death so this miraculous turnaround is wonderful. We have all been praying for him and I carried him to our church for intercessory prayer a couple weeks before I left when they thought his days were few so we are all so happy to see him in his current good health. We pray that his recovery continues.
.
My return to the casa was great and I was greeted by a little mob of children piling on me. I was a little worried before returning that Juan Fernando would be upset with me for leaving him for 3 weeks. Being only 2, he did not understand that I would be back in 3 weeks and was used to having constant attention from me every day. My worries were for not because I was greeted by him running up to me yelling "Daddy" which was wonderful. Many of the other kids call me Papa and he is the only one that says Daddy so I knew he remembered. He grabbed onto me and did not let go much the rest of the day. By evening I was back to changing diapers again. He still cried a little when I put him to bed, but much less than he was back in Dec.
.
The boys in my home told me the people from our church have been asking about me when they see them in the street and asking why the boys have not been in church. They are too young to go out alone at night without me. Last night the boys asked if we can go to church tonight (Friday) so I was glad that they did not lose that desire during my absence.

.
Kate is here from Washington DC visiting since Dec. 31st. She leaves on Monday to return to University of Maryland where she is in school.

.
After 3 weeks of being constantly on the go and visiting I need a rest here, but it looks like it will be a little while before the kids let me have any free time. It is a good feeling though that they want to spend all the day with me. Thats all for now....

1 comment:

Robbie said...

Mike:

Glad you made it back safely. It is good to hear the news of Gustavo. We'll be praying for Roberto Josue.

Rob