Saturday, April 26, 2008

I'm still here

I just got back from spending most of the week at NPH near Tegucigalpa visiting Maynor Galván and all the kids there. There are quit a few new ones so it is always difficult keeping up with the names. Several of the kids always ask "what is my name" so I always try to learn them so the kids won't be disappointed if I don't know them. It is very nice to get outside in a nature environment, especially after dark to see the billions of stars easily visible in the dark sky. Here I spend almost all of my time indoors except for some walks through our dusty and dirty neighborhood and I never go out at night.
I had the misfortune of sitting next to the one person on the bus who could speak English and wanted to talk for 4 hours, mostly negative, prejudicial and foul. The only way I could get it to end was to go to sleep. It is amazing how some people can start a sentence with "I am not prejudice, but ... " and then spew out the most prejudicial comments I have ever heard. It is difficult to tell a person you are stuck next to that no, you are the definition of prejudice. So, sleep was an easier escape until I eventually saw a vacant seat and moved to the other side of the bus. I won't let the negative ending spoil a great week of fun and rest at NPH.
At Amor y Vida, the other home for kids with HIV that I visit here in San Pedro Sula, they had some unfortunate events happen lately. A teenage boy and girl were both kicked out for having an inappropriate relationship. Each had family of some sort they were able to move in with. Tito, the onsight director, was dismissed by the lady in charge of the foundation and replaced with a new person. Tito was very nice and welcoming of me and allowed me and my friends to stay there when we needed a place to stay so it was sad to see him go. Also one of the boys was caught stealing the very expensive medicine to try and sell it and he too was told to leave. He got violent and hit someone when he got caught which probably was a large reason for him being asked to leave right away and not given another chance. He too had an aunt or other relative in the area he moved in with. All of these kids had been at Amor y Vida since I began visiting there 6 years ago so it was sad to see these things happen and have them leave.

No comments: