Thursday, May 28, 2009

Earthquake!

EARTHQUAKE!!!!
We all woke up early, around 2:30 a.m., when the casa was shaking and rocking from a big earthquake. My bed felt like I was in a sleeper car on a rough train, shaking back and forth, fairly rough. Being asleep, it took a while to figure out what was happening, but when I realized all the furniture was moving and I was not really on a train, I figured it was a real earthquake. The house was shaking and creaking very loudly and sounded like it was going to cave in so I and decided to get out of the house with the boys. It was a little tough trying to walk and the power went out so there were no lights so we never actually made it out before the thing stopped about 30 seconds after I woke up. The boys were way more excited than scared, wanting it to start again. Each of us thought at first that the others were in our rooms moving the bed as a joke.
Lamps and books and things fell off shelves, but we did not have any damage here, maybe a few cracks in some walls. All the laundry fell off the line. The doors to our closets all opened. Most of the kids in the main casa were scared by it, but a few like Isaac and the smallest children, slept through the whole thing.
The worst thing in our casa was the power went out for about an hour. It has been one of the hottest weeks of the year this week and sleeping with out a fan is nearly impossible. We were fortunate with the power though because most of the people who came to work this morning still did not have power. The kids all got a day off school.
I have not been out to see around town. The bridge on the road connecting San Pedro to Tela and the northeastern coast collapsed so travel that direction is going to be difficult for a long time. I have heard that several people died when homes collapsed but we have been without internet, radio or T.V. all day so I have not seen any reports of that. No one here or that we know personally was hurt, thank God.

1 comment:

Lauren said...

My favorite line of this is that "the boys were way more excited than scared, wanting it to start again." Mark and I laughed so hard at that! oh boys!
so glad everyone is OK and that you all laughed at it