Tuesday, July 3, 2007

Spending time with the Messiah team now

Tom, Joe and I took the bus to Tegucigalpa on Friday and met up with the Messiah team when they arrived at the airport. After getting settled at the mission house we went to NPH the next day. That was another great experience. My godson Maynor has really grown since I last saw him in November. I will post some photos in another week hopefully when I get back to San Pedro. Joe and I stayed at NPH until Monday. The food was too primitive for Tom's taste so he stayed with the team and got to go to El Patio for a steak. We got stuck eating some red looking banana thing one day that was very hard to choak down so Tom made a good decision.

We met up with a group from Seatle at NPH and did lots of activities with the kids, all 600 of them on Sunday! Joe and I ran the Bingo game until the kids took it over from us. They all really enjoyed that. We also spent the morning in Maynor's pre-school class. I now know why the Hondurans are so far behind in school, not graduating high school until they are in their 20's. Maynor is in his 2nd year of pre-school at age 7, almost 8. His brother Carlos is in his 2nd year of 1st grade at age 10. They were not held back, just on the slow schedule of progression. Two years per grade in the beginning really gets them off to a slow start.

It is good seeing familiar faces from home and staying at the Mission House. I got my Dad's replacement camera for mine that broke and hopefully my computer will be hooked up to the Honduran system when I get back to San Pedro so I can post some photos. Thanks for your thought and prayers. Mike

2 comments:

Connie W. said...

Thanks for keeping us posted on life in Honduras.
That's my Tom...always taking steak over fruit and veggies!
Mike, send those boys home on Sat. I know they will miss you and all the folks down there. Thanks for looking out for them.
God Bless and I'll continue to pray for you and your mission this year.
Connie W.

Mike said...

Thanks Connie. They were a pleasure to have down here for the start of my trip. I am sure you are glad to have Tom back home though.