Monday, September 8, 2008

I`m in Copan

After being here in Honduras for more than a year without doing any traveling other than my visits to see Maynor at the other orphanage, NPH, near Tegucigalpa, it was time for me to get away for a little bit. Juan was sick two weeks ago and thus I was sick last week and Masbey told me to take a vacation to rest so the time was right. I decided to finally visit Copan, the town of Mayan ruins everyone goes to visit except me in the past 6 years. I took the chicken bus to get here. They call it that because it is very slow, stops all along the way, and occasionally people carry livestock onboard. Yesterday I was thinking it was just the slow bus to Copan when about half way through the trip a lady got on the bus with a box full of baby chickens cherpping away. So it literally was the chicken bus yesterday.
Copan is really quaint and pretty in the mountains. I am staying with a family that I just met yesterday. $12 a day for a room in their house with 3 meals included. When you are living on donations from other people you can´t go staying at the Mayan Grand Plaza. They are very nice and the house is very nice and modern also. Rob will appreciate this one: This morning for breakfast they made Folgers coffee. Here I am staying in the prime coffee growing area of Honduras where Cafe Welchez and Cafe Copan are both produced and they serve Folgers! I plan on going to the Cafe Welchez plantation for the tour and sampelling on Wed.

During the mornings I am studying Spanish with a lady here in town and I will be using my afternoons to be a tourist for the first time. I did not bring the cable to hook up my camera to a comuter so I will have to post photos after I return to the casa this weekend.

1 comment:

Robbie said...

Folgers?!?! Oh, no! That's like going to Maine and ordering a steak, or going to Chick-fil-A and ordering a burger, or going to England and having afternoon 'coffee'.

Hopefully you'll get more than a cupful on the tour!

Have fun and relax!