Saturday, September 13, 2008

Last Day in Copan

I am enjoying my last day of vacation here in Copan. Today was the rainiest day yet here. I rains just about every afternoon late in the day or evening but today it started about 2.30 pm. There is no colin on this keyboard! So today was a good day to enjoy Cafe Welchez in a cafe and check the score of the Hokie's game on the internet. Hokies won!
I went to the ruins yesterday and enjoyed walking around on 1300 year old rock building formations. It is amazing that they really don't limit you from walking on most of the ruins, only a few are off limits. I did not make it on the Cafe Welchez tour this week. They are charging $30 now and I was told it is not coffee season so you won't see the harvesting and processing part anyway. But I did spend pleanty of time in the Cafe Welchez cafe here in town. An interesting observation: I am in the town where Cafe Welchez is located and their coffee plantation is only a short distance from here, yet they sell their Cafe Welchez for more than it costs in the stores in San Pedro Sula. 65 lempira here vs. 50 lempira in SPS. This is really a touristy area and everything seems to cost more so that is probably the reason but I was expecting a bargain at the outlet store which was not to be.
I head back to the Casa tomorrow in time for the kids to have 3 days vacation. Monday is independence day, Sept. 15, Tuesday is also a holiday for independence day, and Wed. is the day of the teacher. Given their strike for almost the entire month of July and some of August I was surprised they still got a day of celebration, but go figure. Thankfully most of the kids at the casa get to go to private school for free so only a handful are affected by teacher strikes and days off. I will get some photos posted soon after I get back to the heat. It has been enjoyable here with lower temps due to the mountains, but I am looking forward to seeing all the kids again.

No comments: