Tuesday, September 2, 2008

My Plant Project

This weekend I parted ways with my Papaya plant project. Back in March, as an experiment I planted some papaya seeds that I took out of the fruit that we bought and ate. Mama Laura told me that it would only take about a year for a papaya plant to become fully grown and bear fruit. I thought it would be a nice agricultural project for the boys to help out with and learn a little about planting. The first two photos are of our plants taken on April 11th when they were in a 2 litre coke bottle and clorox bottle.












Recently, the plants had gotten too big for the new pots they have been in and were ready to go in the ground. We don't have an area at our house to put these where they would be safe so I decided to give them to Masbely, Eva and Sandra to put in the yard of their house, reserving all rights to the first fruit. The photos below were taken on Sunday before we took the plants to their house.













This is the yard where we planted them. The other plant is a little farther up in the yard out of the picture. Papaya plants with fruit are usually only about 6-7 feet tall. So if Laura's projection for 1 year is correct, we should be eating some sweet papayas in March.

No comments: