Friday, November 13, 2009

Gracias a Dios day 2

Today was a beautiful day; sunny and warm all day! We went walking around the town and the old fort in the morning. The fort is the burial place of a man named Juan Lindo, who was president of both Honduras and El Salvador during his lifetime in the 1800´s. He is best known as the founder of the public school system. It was his dream and desire that all Hondurans have the opportunity to be educated for free and fought much of his life to bring this to a reality. What a great person. I bet he is a little disappointed on how the educational system is being treated by his countrymen now.
This afternoon we went to the pools at the hot springs about 5 miles outside of town. There are two springs that feed round hot tubs and these drain into two very warm pools, one of which was quite large and 5 feet deep. Those pools drain into a 3rd pool a little lower that is cooler than the other two. I guess the water cools as it moves on from one to the next. We all had a great time. I will get the photos on here next week when I get back to my computer with the cable for my camera.
I forgot to post that yesterday was Juan Fernando´s 4th birthday which I missed. Juan´s birthday is the same date as Junior Fernandez who was my first Godson in the casa. He would have been 12 yesterday had he not gone to be with the Lord 5 years ago.

No comments: