Thursday, November 12, 2009

Gracias a Dios

We arrieved in Gracias a Dios today, a pretty little colonial town in the mountains. The name means Thank God, supposedly named this when the settlers said this upon finding a little flat area amongst all the mountains and said ¨thank God¨. We spent last night in Santa Rosa de Copan, about half way between here and Copan. It was freezing by our standards here. It was probably in the 50´s this morning and rainy, very miserable for us San Pedro Sulans used to the 90 degree heat everyday. That is why we decided to come here after just one night in SRC and I am glad we did. The weather here is much nicer, no rain and probably 70.


The highlight of the trip so far for the boys was our 3 hour horseback riding excursion in Copan. We went along the Copan river, up some mountains and to an area where women make little dolls out of corn husks. If you have seen the Travel Channel show where Samatha Brown goes to Honduras, it is one of the places she visited and filmed for the show. The boys loved the trip although we all still have sore cabooses 2 days later : ) Jonathan was almost crying from fear when he first got on his horse, but after a few minutes he was riding fine and all smiles. The boys want to go again here in Gracias.


Thanks to my mom, we upgraded here to a nice hotel that has a pool. Although it is cool out, the boys plan on getting in the pool and swimming while we are here. They still love just watching cable t.v. in the room. I rarely permit them to watch t.v. at home so this is a real vacation for them.



Now my negative commentary. I was checking the news on Yahoo and saw the photo below and it really made me sick. I have no idea what this girl was protesting and don´t care either, I only know she is lost. There are lots of things about the U.S. that I miss here in Honduras but in all my time here, I have never seen a person with a sign that says God Hates anyone. This is something that I am not looking forward to seeing when I return home. This person obviously does not know God, does not have God in her heart and is the type of person who turns so many people against the church because they think this is how believers think and feel. WE DON´T!! People see signs like this and think ¨If that´s the way those religious people think I don´t want to be one nor associate with them.¨ WE DON´T. The person who made and the person who is carrying this sign are lost and don´t know the first thing about God or Jesus Christ, but God still loves them regardless.


I am going to enjoy these few days in this beautiful town beautifully named Gracias a Dios and I will give thanks to God for bringing me here to see the wonders of His creation knowing that he loves us all.

No comments: