Thursday, September 20, 2007

R & R at NPH

I finally got my first break away from Casa Corazón and went to Tegucigalpa to stay at NPH Monday - Thursday this week. I know leaving a home of 36 kids and going to an orphanage with almost 500 kids does not exactly sound like R&R, but it was a great break and change of scenery. It was the first night I got to stay away from my room here at Casa Corazón after 2 1/2 months. NPH is a giant ranch of about 2000 acres in the wooded hills way outside the city. It is like a giant nature preserve. The weather is much cooler there and it is very peaceful. Although I spent much of my time with all the little kids there, I did have plenty of time to sleep in and relax. I was the only one in the visitors lodge which was very nice and quiet. It is away from the kids houses so it was different from here where I live and work in the same place every day.



This is Maynor, my godson who used to live at Casa Corazón before being moved to NPH to live with his brother Carlos. This is Adonis in the photo with him, not his brother but another boy at NPH.


Some of the younger kids playing ball in the fenced in concrete ball area.


Futból (soccer) practice for the kids on one of the grass fields. The ranch is very spread out and has lots of space for the kids to play.





The twins, José and Tomas are identical in every respect, not just their looks. They both are extremely friendly and very energetic. The first year I was visiting NPH I thought it was one boy who kept changing cloths until I finally saw them together. I thought I figured out that Tomas always wore the sleveless shirts and José the regular t-shirts, but they changed on me this day and José had on the sleeveless shirt to mix me up. When they are in their school uniforms it is really difficult to tell them apart.



Finally some R&R in the hammock next to the papaya tree.